Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oh Good Grief!!!

I thought we had gotten to a point where women weren't self-hating. But, apparently I was wrong.

Thank you to feministing for this article on CEO Barbie.

How could a woman bring this up? And to have a man give the following quote makes me want to throw up:
"This doll furthers the myth that if a woman works hard and sticks to her guns, she can rise to the top," said Frederick Lang of the Changes Institute, a children's advocacy organization. "Our young girls need to learn to accept their career futures, not be set up with ridiculously unattainable images."
While Barbie may be anti-feminist in the way she looks, there is nothing wrong with what Barbie can do. The reason Barbie exists is so that young girls can shoot for the stars. And guess what? If they choose to not take the CEO path, they know that it is open to them. That's what feminism is about, the choice of what a woman wants to do. That's what the fight has forgotten.

And the fact that women need to "accept their career futures" infuriates me! How dare a man say that? Because he's a man he gets to say misogynistic things like this? He gets to call us second-class citizens?

I am so offended by this man that I am thinking about sending him hate mail.

Anyone else?

EDIT:

I just talked to my coworker and he informed me that the Onion, while amusing, is not a reputable source of information. However, the fact that they think that this is A-funny, B-amusing or C-satire is absurd. It's offensive and it really makes me want to write to them. I won't, but it's really frustrating.

I thought about taking the blog down, but I think I'll leave it up. It shows that people still think that misogyny is funny and that this is something we need to combat.

No comments: