Friday, July 16, 2010

Buffy Day 5

Least Favorite Female Character

I think it's pretty funny that my least favorite female character in Buffy is indeed Buffy. I've talked about Buffy before and I think it holds true. Buffy is strong and determined, protective and kind, but she's also whinny, boring and incredibly annoying at times. I mean, she's no Kendra, but Kendra wasn't around long enough to get attached to one way or another. Buffy is the girl who does what she does because she has to, not because she wants to. Buffy is certainly no Faith, who loves what she does. Slaying for Buffy is what she does because otherwise, the world would fall apart. No matter what she says (sings?) in OMWF, she has ALWAYS gone through the motions. There is no love of the job and she doesn't embrace it. She uses her position to be the one in control all the time which cannot be good for her psyche, as is evident in Normal Again (S6E17 - which I'll talk about later in this series).

I mean there are smaller characters who don't really register as being anything you should like or not. As Sweetie didn't like most of season 2 after Angel became Angelus, I didn't see much of Jenny Calendar, so I cannot say one way or another if I like her, but she doesn't seem to have any say one way or another. Cordelia on Buffy was annoying but I loved her on Angel. Kendra wasn't worth mentioning and neither was Darla.

1 comment:

Saranga said...

I agree. Buffy can be very annoying.