Monday, June 15, 2009

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

The sis- and bro- in law were nice enough to encourage Little Miss to watch the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh last night. So now I don't have to borrow it (because for some bizarre reason, we don't own it) and I don't need to worry about trying to figure out when to watch it.

It was interesting. I was never a Pooh girl. I was okay with Eeyore but mostly, I'm not a fan of the popular characters. And that was the main reason growing up, because they were popular. I didn't want to love Mickey or Bugs Bunny or Pooh, so I went for the second characters. I LOVED Donald and Daffy Duck and was an Eeyore girl, but in as so much as when we'd watch the show (having a younger sister meant we watched the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh on the Disney channel growing up), I always was more intrigued by the characters that weren't Pooh.

Growing up, we had the Blustery Day on tape (recorded off of TV of course), so I had no idea that there were others, with the exception of the phrase "I'm a lil black rain cloud of course" which was before/after our Mary Poppins tape (that yes, I warped because I watched it so much). So this was definitely interesting for me.

There wasn't much to report on, feminist or equality-wise. I rather enjoyed Gopher telling Rabbit and Owl that he wasn't in the book but here's his card. That is in reference to the fact that A.A. Milne didn't write about him.

What is intriguing is how Milne wrote about the current mental diseases of his time by using cute and cuddly animals. Of course, we all know that Eeyore represents depression, Pooh is gluttony or some sort of eating disorder. Tigger represents ADHD and Rabbit is indicative of OCD. I was always aware that Piglet played the role of the homosexual and that Owl represented pseudointellect, but what was new to me was Kanga and Roo representing the single parent and bastard son.

Even if those aren't true, still a dandy story, I suppose. Not my favorite, which is prolly why we don't own it.

But YAY! Now there are only 2 I haven't seen and will (I will not be seeing Fox and the Hound. WAAAAAY too sad for me.

No comments: